Sunday, January 8, 2012

Not in a Hiking Guide Book

My new hiking partner David and I set off to explore the canyons on the north-west corner of Rock Lake. We did not find what we were looking for but we had a grand adventure. The area had been burned in 2008 and subsequently logged of all the big trees. The canyons were steep without trails other than some game trails up above the scree slopes. The bottoms were treacherously filled with boulders covered in slippery moss. However under one I spotted a curved shape and found it was a bighorn sheep horn (along with ribs, vertebrate and a jaw bone). It was quite old and relatively soft as I cleaned it off the best that I could. We dubbed the interesting rock formation along the base of the top wall the "Elephant Rock". The game trail went right through this natural formation!



1 comment:

Anali & Peter Wills-Gresham said...

Great photos, looks adventurous!